Trolleholm through six centuries
The original castle
The original castle, named Eriksholm, was built in 1538 and burned down during the Danish-Swedish war in 1678.
All the timber went up in smoke and the roof collapsed. After the fire, the castle fell into disrepair. The palace was rebuilt in the 1750s to the designs of Rococo architect Carl Hårleman, known for completing the Stockholm Palace after the death of Tessin the Younger. After reconstruction, however, Trolleholm once again fell into disrepair because the owner family did not live there permanently.
Trolleholm Castle acquired its current fairytale appearance at the end of the 19th century when the castle underwent an extensive restoration under the direction of the Danish architect, Councillor Ferdinand Meldahl. It was also then that the magnificent library was designed, inspired by English university libraries. Today it houses one of the largest privately owned book collections in Northern Europe, with around 45,000 volumes.
The bold mix of architecture from different eras means that the castle can be described as an example of historicism, which means a return to stylistic elements from previous eras.
The three three-story red brick buildings are surrounded by four corner towers with portholes and a dominant stair tower in the courtyard. About 1/3 of the walls of the old castle are part of the current castle.
Today, companies can use Trolleholm for board activities and representation through a right of use structure. The castle is therefore often referred to as the ‘Harpsund of business’. The business is run by the estate’s tenant Trolleholms Slott AB.